Fresh Cut Flower Care Guidelines
To achieve maximum enjoyment and longevity from your flowers, you need to provide them with a little TLC. Here are some tips on how you can extend the life of your flowers
Flowers offer the perfect décor to brighten up a home or mark an occasion. Not only do they look beautiful, they smell nice too! But how can you keep them healthy so that you don’t have to replace them too often?
- Firstly, use a non-metal container
- Use fresh luke-warm water
- Add cut flower food (in liquid or powder form)
- Trim 2cms from the bottom of the stems at a clean angle
- Strip leaves below the water line
- Top up the vase, basket and arrangement with fresh water daily
- Keep away from draughts, direct sunlight and heat
- Should roses start to droop at the head, re-cut the stems, place heads together, wrap in paper then stand in deep water for an hour
- Re-cutting the stems periodically will insure that there is a fresh surface from which the stems can take up the water. This will allow the flowers to last even longer
- Plants love light and an even temperature, but dislike draughts
Flowers and your pets
We love our pets! The family cat or dog is vital part of our family, and we do everything we can to help ensure that they have what they need. Pet owners need to be certain that they provide the correct food and preventative medical care. While pet safety needs to be a big concern around the house, one of the most common dangers for pets are with the plants and flowers that can be easily found in the home.
There are a number of plants are toxic to animals, including lilies, tulips and azaleas. All of these plants could have an impact on the health of pets if ingested. Therefore, it is important that prevention of potential danger is very important.
If you have a home with pets, and you have flowers and plants, it is imperative to keep an eye out for the possibility of the animal being poisoned. Some of the symptoms that you should look out for include diarrhea, vomiting, weakness and not behaving as normal. If you suspect that your pet may have been accidentally poisoned, it is important to contact your vet as soon as possible. The early the treatment for the poison the better chance of getting them back to health.